Monday, June 12, 2017

A Different Look

Sunday, like most of the two games on Saturday, was a day where I didn't get to see much of the Mets game, unless you count the few innings I saw from a distance while eating lunch someplace. The Mets were ahead 2-1 in the 4th-5th inning while I was around a TV and as such I'd missed all the game's meaningful action. What I did see was the Mets win behind a pitcher making his season debut for the second game in a row.

I can't say I had or continue to have the highest of hopes for Seth Lugo, but if nothing else, he acquitted himself well enough down the stretch last season and pitched with enough confidence to inspire some sort of positive feelings this season. And, well, not having him as he worked back from an elbow injury that might have been severe enough to necessitate the Big Boy Surgery was problematic, not so much because Lugo is a world-beater, but because he's substantially a better option than whatever else was available. What will happen from here I'm not certain but Lugo and his exceptionally spinny curveball shined for 7 innings and 90 pitches in Atlanta, on a day when one would have expected a fly-ball pitcher to have some trouble. But Lugo allowed 6 hits and 1 run along with 2 walks and 6 strikeouts and that was enough to get him a win because the Mets scraped out 2 runs against Jaime Garcia.

I'll echo what I said yesterday about these reinforcements being very helpful, particularly considering the fact that the Mets won 3 of 4 over the weekend when it sure as shit looked like they were ripe to get swept. So they're starting to tilt things in their favor, but of course the acid test will come this week when they come home to play America's Sweethearts, the Chicago Cubs in what should be a nauseatingly good time at Citi Field. I'll be around, so I hope to have the opportunity to see those cocky pricks knocked down a peg (and yes, that's more commentary of the obnoxious Cubs fans sure to show up than the team themselves).

No comments: