Saturday, July 23, 2016

Ruining My Night

I'd been out most of the evening with my other half, having a pleasant time. We'd gone out in spite of the fact that there was a game on, simply because it seemed like going out and taking a walk and going someplace for dinner seemed like a nice thing to do.

We got home sometime around 10 and I put the game on, saw the score MIA 7 NYM 2 in the 8th or the 9th inning and my night was basically wrecked. Jacob deGrom didn't have it and basically he got Marlin'ed to death, which means he kept giving up scratch singles to Hamburgers Yelich and Derek Dietrich before Giancarlo Stanton hit a Home Run.

I have a feeling that this thing I have with the Marlins is something that only a therapist might be able to help me with. I mean, the Mets lose games regularly, and for years this was something that they almost turned into an art form. But for whatever reason, the Mets losing to the Marlins just makes me so angry that I spend the next two hours stewing about it. I've gone over, many times, my disdain for the Marlins and their very existence and really, if you asked me to explain it deeper, my answer would probably be something along the lines of "Because fuck the Marlins!"

I know I'm not the only Mets fan that feels this way. It's as though the Marlins raison d'être is just to annoy the Mets and their fans, and, well, they do a very good job of it. As a franchise, it's basically the only thing they're good at. But, come on. It goes back years, and I don't need to go into the details. Nothing seems more exemplary of Marlin behavior than Jose Fernandez striking out Wilmer Flores back in June in the 7th inning of a Sunday afternoon game and storming off the mound screaming and yelling and pumping his fist. This is the Marlins. Maybe when the Marlins trade him to the Dodgers he'll be instructed to tone it down a notch, but when you're basically playing for a Little League team, anything goes.

And, of course, the Mets are trailing these clowns in the standings. Have I said that before? Probably, but come on. The fact that the Mets have spent a majority of this season stuck in Neutral doesn't bother me as much as the fact that they're behind the Marlins in the standings. Again, no good explanation, other than Fuck the Marlins. That's about all I got tonight.

No comments: