Friday, June 8, 2012

SHOWDOWN!!

It's now the 16th year of Interleague Play and the 16th year of the Mets/Yankees Subway Series matchups. Every year it seems like it sort of sneaks up on you and then, boom, here it is and you're thinking "Subway Series already?"

At the moment, it appears I won't be going to any Subway Series games this year. I didn't go to any last year, either. The only other year I missed before that was in 2003. That was by accident and poor scheduling. The past couple of years, it's mostly been by choice.

It's somewhat stressful going to these games, dealing with a bipartisan crowd that includes many fans of a team I loathe, yelling and cheering and whooping it up, holding their Pregame chicken sacrifice or whatever their bleacher bums like to do. The years that I've gone and the Mets have won, it's been great. When the Mets have lost, it's been pure, unadulterated hell.

Back in the days of the old stadiums, these games were particularly intense, to the point where I'd been known to yell myself hoarse by the national anthem (TAKE YOUR HAT OFF!!). Since Citi Field has opened, the feelings have been somewhat reduced, probably because the Mets were lousy. Or tired. Or both. I haven't been to a game at the new Yankees Stadium, and I may never go there, so I don't know what it's like over there. My guess is it's probably mostly unbearable. I don't wish to find out.

Apparently, I'm not the only one who feels that the Subway Series is beginning to get a little stale. I was told or maybe I heard it on WFAN, that plenty of tickets, good seats in fact, are very much still available for all games. But I just can't seem to muster up the enthusiasm to fork over $50 a seat for this. Opening Day is a different story. This is sort of like an exercise in torture or some sort of demented psychological experiment Bud Selig is trying to pull. I'm not sure. But I feel like for sanity's sake, I may as well just watch at home. I think many others agree with me, if as many tickets are available as I'm led to believe. I guess we'll all have some idea as to what the story is come tonight.

No comments: