Thursday, April 22, 2010

Background Noise

Last night was one of those nights where I was home and had the game on the radio all evening, but I really didn't pay much attention. Basically, I only paid halfhearted attention whenever I heard Howie Rose or Wayne Hagin raise their voices, so I heard something about Ike Davis making a great play, and Rod Barajas hit a long HR early in the game, but after that, not much yelling, so one could only assume that things basically went downhill from there. And, they did.

There's not much worth talking about when it comes to this game. The Cubs were due after putting up a pair of stinkers, the Mets still aren't hitting enough to keep up with the precarious nature of an Oliver Perez start, and the Bullpen couldn't keep the game within reach late. I suppose Oliver Perez should be somewhat lauded for only allowing 3 runs in his 5 innings, but when that's an accomplishment, you know you're really reaching.

The game was mere accompaniment to me making my dinner, a scintillating meal of pork chops, rice and asparagus. Given my thoroughly Jewish upbringing, this is probably a bit of a shock, but we were never anything resembling kosher. In fact, my best pork recipe comes from my Father. It goes a little something like this:

2-4 center-cut pork chops (I was working with 2 last night)
Kosher salt
Olive oil
Black pepper
Paprika
Italian style bread crumbs
Mets game on Radio

Turn on radio. Preheat broiler. Coat pork chops with about a teaspoon of olive oil. Lightly dust with salt, pepper and paprika, then sprinkle on bread crumbs. There's no specific amount, just use prudent judgement. If you like them a little spicier, use more pepper. Broil for 10-16 minutes depending on thickness of the pork chops, turning when they are halfway cooked. Important: Make sure pan is not too close to the heating element, it will burn the bread crumbs. Turn attention to Mets game while pork chops are cooking. If, after 16 minutes, the pork chops are not fully cooked, I will usually put in a 400˚ oven for about 10-12 minutes. Serve with or over rice and steamed asparagus (and I don't think it's necessary to give directions on cooking rice or asparagus. If you can't figure that out, you've got other issues). Keep Mets game on radio throughout meal.

Back to Citi Field tonight since the Weekday plan games are all bunched together.

No comments: