Friday, August 3, 2012

Midday Magic

Once again, the Mets played a midweek afternoon game, where I followed along on the radio in my office.

Once again, the Mets won big in this Radio Game.

It's become a bit of a pattern. As I keep mentioning, usually, when I have these games on the radio in my office, I'm listening with half an ear for one reason or another, or I have to step out of my office and I miss things completely. Thursday was no different. I put the radio on just as the game was about to start. Then I was called out of my office for about 10 or 15 minutes. When I came back, the first inning had ended, and the Mets had a 4-0 lead. That was a rather pleasant surprise.

Even more surprising was the source of much of the Mets offense. We don't have to talk about Jason Bay, because even though he drove in 2 runs, it's more than likely that this will send him into another 0-24 skid. Ronny Cedeno, like Bay, doesn't generate much offense, but then again he never did, so when he gets 5 RBIs in a game, it's like gravy because he's usually just in the lineup because a lefty was pitching or Tejada needed a burn.

Of course, since I was only partially paying attention, I didn't quite realize that Cedeno was having quite the day until Josh Lewin yelled something like "And it's a FIVE RBI day for Cedeno!" I probably wasn't even aware of the fact that Bay had done anything at all until I looked at the game recap much later on.

So, 3 of 4 in San Francisco, fine payback for them taking 3 of 4 here in April. All of a sudden, this West Coast swing hasn't gone too badly. Then again, now it's off to San Diego and Petco Park, where the Mets, I believe, have lost every game they've ever played there by a 2-1 score. Hopefully things will go better this time around.

No comments: