Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Nautical Disaster

I'm starting to think I should just not bother following the Mets when they go on the road. Very little good seems to happen to them there.

Following an eminently forgettable weekend series in Milwaukee, where the Mets were undone primarily by the usual problems that have plagued them all season, the Mets steamed into San Diego and Petco Park, where I believe they've never won a game, and continued to look like a bunch of assholes.

I'm not quite sure how the Padres are doing it, because they aren't a good team. They are Adrian Gonzalez and the Del-Tones, more or less, but somehow they lead this division. Outside of Gonzalez, there's not a single name in that lineup that will strike fear into anyone's heart. Yet, here they are, with Jerry Hairston hitting grand slams, and Chase Headley and Nick Hundley bopping around, and David Eckstein continuing to piss me off, and all of a sudden "Hey, Hey, Hisanori!" turned into an embarrassing 18-run debacle that ended with Oliver Perez taking his lumps at the end of the game (I'm biting my tongue on Ollie at this point, because what's the use, but suffice it to say I think it's about time someone pulled a Tonya Harding on him). All this added up to yet another road loss, yet another mostly lifeless outing, and yet another game where the Mets managed to generate some offense and failed to back that up with any sort of tangible pitching.

I realize that the Mets have every right to feel as though they are contending, but, really, how can you seriously call them contenders when they have 7 road wins on June 1st? I'm not looking forward to the rest of this series at the Dog Run.

No comments: