Thursday, June 18, 2009

Phoning it In

It's the point of the season where I start to fade slowly into the background as far as the Mets are concerned. If you didn't know, I work on a major Theatrical project each Summer that saps most of my time and most of my weekends, and, more importantly, puts most Mets games at simply a rumor level for me. I have no idea what's going on during these games because I never get to see them. The best I can do is steal a moment and try to get a score on my phone. Or I'll get text messages from El Guapo or another of my assorted Mets fan friends who will keep me apprised of the night's happenings.

The best I can assume from basically seeing the final score of the last two games is that not much has changed. Two games, same score, some good, some bad, some indifferent. My infamous co-worker, who isn't involved in the same insanity I am, was feeding me some information to the effect of the following, which may or may not be true:

1) Alex Cora has no range at Shortstop.
2) Daniel Murphy is an idiot because, even though he got 3 dinky hits, he swung at a sucker pitch in the 9th inning and screwed up the game.
3) Jerry Manuel has no clue.

Sometimes, I think it's better off that I miss most of these games. That's not always true, but I suppose the Mets have fallen into a predictable pattern of good, lousy, good, lousy, with very little in between. I may not get to see much of it for myself, but my phone will tell me the truth.

No comments: