Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Pleased to Meet You

I've done a lot of photo posts that have reflected the building process of Citi Field, beginning with its formation through to now. I mentioned that Sunday was my first actual trip to Citi Field, and I had plenty of photos to show off, so I'm going to do that now. Of course, I'll have more come Monday night. But, basically, if you haven't been there, here's a chance to see what the fuss is about, and if you have been there, you can share your opinions of the Mets new digs.

This is, truly, my first look at Citi Field, rolling up on the 7 train. Some will remember this photo from last season and remember that this was the view you were used to. Those days are over.

I mentioned the new signage at the Subway station, and here it is in action...
...however, nobody's seemed to mention anything about these old-school signs that haven't been changed or even touched.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand, here we are!

The Subway staircase that I'd made such a big stink about last year now actually looks much more in place with the construction work out of the way.

There are plenty of photos floating around of the mural over the Left Field gate, but here's something not so photographed, the information signs that are all over the place, much more prevalent than they were at Shea.

I ended up going in through the Left Field gate, mainly to beat the crowds at the Jackie Robinson Rotunda, however the downside to this is that I didn't actually get to see the Rotunda. So this shot, behind 3rd Base in the Field Level is my first official look at the inside of Citi Field.

Menu at a generic concession in the Promenade. Prices are, for the most part, not dramatically more expensive than they were at Shea. In fact, certain items probably aren't any more expensive at all.

But my first real order of business was to go up to the Promenade level and check out my seats, and here they are.

And here's the view from said seats. Less that tiny sliver down the left field corner, you can see the whole field.
The much-ballyhooed New Apple, which I didn't actually get to see in its raised position.
This is one of the new things I like. This ticket booth is located rather centrally in the Promenade Level food court behind Home Plate. In Shea Stadium, the only internal ticket booth was mostly hidden from everybody, down a dead-end ramp in the Field Level. I called it the "Secret Ticket Booth," because if you didn't know it was there, you missed it completely.

And here's that food court.

And here's that amazing, space-age Citi Field urinal.

These I'm sort of on the fence about. El Guapo likes them, but I have the feeling that having the condiments out like this is just asking for trouble. I can see it now, there's some drunken fans out during a Mets/Phillies game, and all of a sudden there's sauerkraut flying all over the place. This has all the makings of instant disaster.

But, then again, in case you need instructions on how to prepare your hot dog, they've got these signs up for you!

And, after having shown you my final Shea Stadium Hot Dog last September, I present to you my first Citi Field Hot Dog!

It's much easier to navigate your way around Citi Field. Though it's more staircase than ramp, it's a breeze to move between levels. I've moved down from the Promenade to the Field Level, where there's a different selection of food, especially once you get out into the Outfield.

A different, more eclectic and expensive selection, that is. Because, you know, when I think of Ballpark Food, I think of a $17 Lobster Roll.

And here, out past Center Field, is the much-ballyhooed Danny Meyer Alley, replete with Blue Smoke and Shake Shack and the Taco stand...And the skyline from the old Shea Stadium Scoreboard! It survived and made the trip to Citi Field!

Mr. Met and the Sterling Level seats that were conspicuously empty this fine afternoon.

Here's the broadcast booths.

And, one final look back where we started.

I have to say, though I only spent a little over an hour in the ballpark, I think it's going to be great. I think it's going to be a stadium that grows on all of us. I don't think it's necessarily lacking in Mets "feel." I think that's something that will ultimately be created by us, the fans. I think, though, as the years pass, it will seem like more of a home for all of us. It's going to be a fun place to be. I'm looking forward to being back next Monday, and many more times beyond that.

No comments: