Thursday, July 24, 2008

EASTER BUNNIES!!!

Sing a little song with me, if you will. Make up your own tune. I don't mind.

Happy Day
Everything's Fine
We're Okay
Back in a Tie
Wagner's Back
Hold the Lead
Mets get the win
Good as can be

Much like last night, I didn't have a chance to see any of the game, except for a brief moment when I had a chance to watch some assorted highlights on MLB's Gamecast. My first look came with the Mets leading 6-3 in the 8th. The cast member who was dumbfounded last night came in my office and saw I was watching. "Should I even ask what's happening?" he said to me. I told him that the Mets were up 6-3 in the 8th, but what did that mean anymore? He agreed.

With a real closer back in the mix, the 3-run lead was pretty safe in the 9th. So, after 24 hours of unadulterated agony, the Mets are officially no better or worse than they were two days ago. Just as I had suspected. After a loss that could have surely spelled instant doom, it appears that the instant doom is merely the creation of a fan base that's spent too many years getting kicked in the teeth to think that anything might actually work out in their favor. But this is the Mets we're dealing with. Every time you think they're going to go one way, they end up doing the exact opposite.

As Keith Hernandez would say, "Such are the vicissitudes of Baseball."

No comments: