Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Ballpark Time Forgot

I know that these games have been happening and that some good and some bad has gone on with the Mets the last two nights, but with my show opening on Saturday and me wrapped in rehearsal, I don't have too much to say about anything, at least as far as things pertaining to the Mets.

I don't know why, but it seems like this usually happens whenever the Mets go into Joe Robbie Pro Player Huizenga Dolphin Stadium. The Mets haven't been to Florida since the opening series of the season. That seems like another lifetime. This is a different team with a different set of guys getting things done.

I don't know why, but it seems like I have little to no memories of the Mets playing games at this miscast hell-hole of a Stadium. Even last season, when the Mets appeared to briefly resurrect themselves in September, the games in Miami had a rather forgettable nature to them, particularly after the way the following week played out.

I don't know if it's the fact that the Mets seem to go to Florida specifically during periods of time when I can't see the games, or that it's just that I can't get into a game that's played in front of 8,000 people, or the long time between trips to Florida, or something else. The games early in the season were nice, I guess, excluding the game that Billy Mangina won late, but since that time, a lot has gone on. Now, the Mets are back in Miami, and the two games in this series so far haven't produced much, if anything, in the way of stellar, memorable baseball. It won't be long, in fact only a month, until the Mets return to Florida to finish out their season series in Miami, over Labor Day weekend.

It's not a matter of whether or not I'll see those games. I very well might. But the real question is will we want to remember them when we look back on this season?

No comments: