Friday, July 18, 2008

Back to the (Back to the) Beat, Y'all (Beat, Y'all)

Well, anyway you slice it, this is pretty cool.

As I'm entering the rehearsal process for my Summer Show, as I do every year, the games are more or less reduced to a glimpse here and there on MLB's Gamecast when I have a chance to look at my computer. When I first put it on, the Mets had coughed up a 2-0 lead and were trailing, first 3-2, then 5-2 as Santana clearly didn't have his best stuff. When I looked again, as I was closing up for the night, the Mets were down 8-6 in the bottom of the 8th. I figured this was now where the shoe was going to drop, the streak would end, and the Mets would prove unable to carry over the hot streak through the All Star Break.

Nope.

I walk into my building and my doorman immediately gives me a high-five and says that the Mets just won it. No kidding. A 4-run rally in the 9th. So much for a letdown.

The offense is really clicking right now, and enough that they were actually able to offset a rare game (of late) where the pitchers didn't have it. Santana was tagged, Heilman and Schoeneweis struggled, but no bother. The Mets beat around the Reds pitchers pretty soundly, it would appear. Carlos Delgado continues to be raging hot, as is Fernando Tatis, both coming up with Home Runs and key hits in the 9th, Carlos Beltran chipped in with a rally-extending hit, and David Wright, off a relatively mediocre All Star Game performance, came up with the biggest hit of them all, a resounding opposite field HR to tie the game in the 9th, the kind of hit that he hasn't been coming up with of late.

With that, the Mets have now won 10 in a row for the first time since 1991 and sit a game shy of equaling the longest winning streak in team history. What makes this even more astounding is that, as everyone keeps saying, there was no indication whatsoever that this team had a streak like this in them at all at any point during the first three months of the season. All of a sudden, everything's clicking at once, and the jigsaw that hadn't really been seen since Opening Day in Florida is falling into place like we'd hoped it would.

It's Death Cab tonight, who hasn't been very Death Cab of late, and perhaps it's been because I haven't been referring to him as such. Actually, I think I just forgot about it, what with everything else going on around the team and elsewhere. Can he see the light and lead the Mets further out of the bleak misery of their dark days and spark them to ultimate triumph?

I kinda wish I could see these games now.

No comments: