Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Existential Crisis

After Monday night's game, I received a phone call, at around 10:50pm from my co-worker, who was yelling and screaming about the Mets and David Wright and Ho-Jo, and summarily recapping everything that he's been complaining about for the past season or so. It's not so much that I disagree with him, I don't, but the timing and the length of the phone call, the contents of which could sufficiently be recapped in yesterday's post, got me to thinking.

What the hell am I doing?

Is this really worth it? Am I just wasting my time going to games and writing this thing?

Last night's game didn't give me anything more to write about the Mets than what I'd written Monday, or last week, or last month, or last year. There's nothing interesting going on here.

When I arrived home, already knowing the outcome of the game without having seen a second of the action, I looked at mets.com for the highlights. I could only find one, of course, Manuel and Beltran's ejections. Clearly, that was the only highlight of the game from the Mets fan perspective.

The game, already a mess at that point, continued to spiral out of control. I would guess there were about 400 people left in the stands. On WFAN, it was even worse. Callers, those who watched and those who were there, seemed frustrated and tired. People were complaining that the Mets weren't trying. We know they're trying. It's beyond the complaint and admission of last year that they weren't trying hard enough.

The problem right now is that they're just not good. This is not a good team, and I think it's making all of us just a little bit crazy right now. Even their wins over the past week haven't exactly been top-notch victories. Then again, as bipolar as the Mets have been, they could just as easily turn around and wheel off 5 of their next 7 or something like that.

But they don't inspire that kind of confidence, do they.

It still makes me wonder what the hell I'm doing this for. I have a feeling, sometimes, that I could just copy and paste one of my older posts and it could apply just as well to the team's current situation. I know it's cheating, but then again, I feel cheated by this team.

No comments: