Tuesday, May 12, 2009

So Long, Streak

I suppose the Mets were due for a game like last night, one of those absolute stinkers in which nothing they did seemed to go right for them.

It's unfortunate that this sort of a game had to happen on a night when Santana was pitching, but, it did, and so despite the fact that he lowered his ERA from 0.91 to 0.78, Santana ended up on the short end of the stick by the end of the night.

Santana did what he usually does, which is going out to the mound and being mostly brilliant. His teammates, unfortunately, did what they usually do on nights when Santana is on the mound, too. That is to say they flubbed a couple of plays and didn't generate much offense against Derek Lowe, who seems to have an every-other-start thing against the Mets, where he's alternately good and horrible. At least, that's what I seem to think happens.

At any rate, by the time the 9th inning rolled around, and the Mets looked more and more pathetic, I began to think it better for them to continue to screw up. Get it all out of your system now, get drunk after the game, come back tomorrow with a fresh face and a clean slate and start playing well again.

I should hope so. Tonight will be Citi Field, take four for me. My 4th game of the season, and the 3rd time I'm getting Mike Pelfrey on the mound. In fact, this Pelfrey/Jair Jurrjens pitching matchup seems eerily familiar to me...

No comments: