Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A Final Tip of the Cap


This was my final glimpse of Shea Stadium, as I left on September 28th, 2008. I, like others, did not return to the Shea site after that date. I did, however, diligently follow the destruction of Shea, piece by piece, through sites like Stadiumpage.com, and the work of people like citi_field on Webshots. But I never went in person. Even in the years that they weren't tearing down Shea, I preferred not to go out there between October and April. I preferred to remember Shea as it was when I was going there with purpose, not just passing through on my way to someplace else. In other words, I prefer to remember Shea as it was on a night like this:
(Photo from October 12, 2006)

as opposed to today, February 18th, 2009, where, in a rather ignominius bit of symmetry, Shea finally fell to the ground on my 30th Birthday.

I have, previously, said my peace on Shea, and I know my feelings are echoed by multitudes of Mets fans around me. It's gone now. But it's never dead.

Just look here.

Or here.

Or here.

Or here.

No comments: