Monday, February 25, 2008

That's My $12 Ace

You know, the guy on the right.

The keepers for my Fantasy Baseball league were due in today. After my 9th place finish last year, I figured it was time to rebuild. But there was one pitcher I decided to keep. He lasted the entire season in my starting lineup, despite some slumps, and rewarded me with an all-around great season.

That's John Maine. Last year, he was a Key Met. We weren't sure what we were going to get from him. But he showed us he was the goods. Now, with that successful season under his belt, he's out for more. Billy Wagner, for one, believes he's well capable of it. The article in today's Daily News certainly makes that clear. This year, there's no "whatif he can..." for John Maine. In 2007, he came through time and again in big games, games the Mets needed to win, and saved his best outing for his final start of the season. Yes, there were some bad moments. Every pitcher has them. But Maine still finished up with a sterling 15 victories, a 3.91 ERA and a team-leading 180 Ks. But for a bad inning here or a bullpen flameout there, Maine could have added to those numbers. And right now, there's no reason to believe he won't.

That's why I'm keeping him around. Perhaps I'll pop $25 or $30 for a Roy Oswalt or a C.C. Sabathia at the draft, but I'll know what's what. I've already got my $12 Ace.

John Maine is Mets Ace in the hole
[Daily News]

No comments: