Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Predictable

In the 8th inning of last night's game, Angel Pagan led off by popping out. With one out, Luis Castillo slapped a single up the middle. Jose Reyes followed by grounding into a 6-6-3 double play to end the inning.

Right then and there, I knew how the game was going to end. I mentioned it to a friend of mine. I didn't know when, but I just knew it was going to come down to some scrub off the back of the Reds bench coming up and popping a HR to win the game. The scrub of choice I used, in fact, was Joe Randa, who we all know well from Met Screwups of the past. It makes no difference that Randa isn't even in the Major Leagues anymore, it would just be someone like him. Initially, I thought it would be right then and there, in the bottom of the 8th. But Fernando Nieve came in throwing smoke, and Feliciano got out of a jam in the 10th. Nonetheless, the Mets couldn't plate anyone either, so as the game moved later and later into the night, I just hoped it would be over quick. At some point, I think I must have tuned out entirely, because all of a sudden I heard Howie Rose's voice growing excited, but it was a rather despondent excitement, if such a thing is possible. When Howie gets loud and sort of exasperated, you pretty much know all you need to know. I didn't need to know who hit it, I knew it was probably the last person on the Reds I'd expect, and I was right. I didn't even know Laynce Nix was even on the Reds, but there he was, going that little extra mile to beat the Mets, who, I hope, have not fallen into a Philadelphia-induced slumber now that they've lost 3 in a row.

It's interesting how these little ebbs and flows can affect an entire nation of fans. Friday night, Mets fans were walking around with their chests puffed out, ready to take on anyone. Today, we're feeling a little humble and searching for a solution. Tomorrow, who knows? But with Maine pitching, optimism isn't quite abound, even after his strong performance the last time out. This has the makings of one of those stupid 9-6 games, I think...

No comments: