Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Shoulda Gone Last Night

On Monday night, the Mets bombed 3 Home Runs in the 1st inning and coasted the rest of the way to an easy win over the Atlanta Braves.

Unfortunately, they haven't scored since. In a wet, miserable affair on Tuesday night, the Mets were completely tied in knots by Matt Wisler while on the other side, Matt Harvey battled his way through yet another troublesome outing and ultimately came undone in a hideous 6th inning that he simply couldn't fight his way out of.

As my Father was wont to say after a game like this, "You shoulda gone last night."

My 5th trip to Citi Field this season had all the makings of a bad time. First of all, it was raining basically the entire night. Not really raining so much as misting, but it was wet and annoying and now that I'm getting older, I don't really enjoy this as much as I used to. It doesn't rain hard enough to stop or even slow down the game, they just play right through it, but I'm sure the players find it about as pleasant as I do. To make matters worse, in spite of the fact that I was sitting basically by myself in section 513, some doofy millennials came up sometime in the middle of the 1st inning and one of them, in spite of rows of empty seats and chatter to the effect of "Oh, let's sit wherever," plopped himself directly in front of me, just enough to block my view of home plate. It took about 4 innings before I got fed up and moved over a section, because really, if they weren't going to take advantage of the myriad empty seats, I would.

Harvey started getting cut by the Braves in the 5th, but really, they'd been dinging him all night. He looked uncomfortable and out of sorts from the outset. They were singling and doubling him to death, and it took some crafty fielding to escape from a 2nd inning jam, where a more formidable opponent might have gone for the kill right there. He was surviving, but not much more than that. And finally, when Mallex Smith reached him for a Home Run that was a Home Run, I didn't need a replay to tell me that, I knew things were just going to go downhill from there. The 6th inning was torturous. Braves were basically flying around the bases at will, Harvey was throwing Wild Pitches and eventually he just dissolved into continually making pickoff throws to 1st base with 2 outs when it was clear the runner wasn't going anywhere. After finally allowing another hit to Smith, Harvey was mercifully pulled from the game after 100 pitches, very few of which looked right.

Meanwhile, the Mets couldn't get an inch off of Wisler, who held them to 1 hit over 8 innings and that was the output of the game. A couple of walks and an Asdrubal Cabrera single that was immediately followed by a Kevin Plawecki DP. The Mets have had trouble with Wisler previously so maybe this shouldn't be too much of a surprise, but come on. Not scoring in 17 of 18 innings against an awful team isn't good. I know that the Mets weren't going to go 19-0 against Atlanta this season, and at some point something like this would happen, but at least save the stinkers for a night when I'm not there watching the misery unfold.

No comments: