Saturday, May 2, 2015

The Streak Stopper

Last night's games was one of those games that I couldn't watch, because I wasn't home. But when I got that final score buzz on my phone courtesy of ESPN, I immediately felt a pang of "I shoulda been there tonight instead of last night." That's a familiar refrain every time I've missed witnessing a Matt Harvey start by a day.

Harvey, of course, got the Mets back on track and equaled the Mets 2014 win total vs. Washington at Citi Field pretty much by himself, stifling the Nationals once again, this time outdueling Max Scherzer over a 7-inning effort. Though it wasn't until the 8th inning that the Mets put together a comfortable lead, thanks to a Daniel Murphy fly ball that turned into a 3-run double when Jayson Werth actually did something to help the Mets, rather than hinder, they were still able to muster one early run for Harvey, which it seems like all he needs on most days, and Mr. Man ran his record out to 5-0 on the season as the Mets won 4-0.

There isn't much to report about a game like this, although I suspect I might have had more to say if I'd been there or at least watched things unfold. Harvey admitted to not being at his best last night. If he managed to pitch 7 shutout innings and allow 5 hits, 1 walk and 3 strikeouts, I'd really like to see what he can do when he's on top of his game. Oh, wait...I've actually seen what he can do when he's on top of his game.

If more games like this and potentially more games like that night in May of 2013 are forthcoming, well, we can look forward to seeing these cold snaps come to a stop pretty quickly.

No comments: