Monday, June 16, 2014

On The Outside

The weekend matchups between the Mets and the Padres didn't exactly result in interesting, memorable ballgames. That's, of course, my cheap, copout way of saying I didn't watch either of the games, but who's counting?

Saturday, I was in the vicinity of Citi Field, one of those incredibly rare moments when I was in Queens, on the 7 train, getting off at Willets Point...but not going to Citi Field. Prior engagements brought me out to Corona Park and the remnants of World's Fair's past right around game time, so I was caught in the throngs of people going in to the stadium...but I was walking in the opposite direction. A strange feeling indeed, but given the way the game turned out, I probably was doing the right thing by walking away. Losing 5-0 to the punchless Padres isn't exactly confidence-inspiring. Then again, nothing the Mets have done these past few weeks has been confidence-inspiring. Zack Wheeler had the typical Zack Wheeler game. Didn't pitch badly, but also didn't pitch good enough to win the game, while the Mets did nothing against Ratso Happ or whoever the guy pitching for San Diego was. He now goes down among such luminaries as Troy Mattes or Jason Jennings as guys who made auspicious Major League debuts (or early career performances) by throwing shutout ball against the Mets.

For some reason, Saturday's loss elicited a multitude of negative responses from my Met fan brethren across the internet, and I can't figure out why this, out of all the losses they've suffered this year, last year, or any of the several years before this when they lost a game and looked like a bunch of assholes doing so, this particular game was the tipping point. I mean, I don't think I know many people that were at the game, and certainly even the lure of 50 Cent probably wasn't enough to bring many of my friends to Citi Field anyway. But somehow, this game was the one that threw everyone over the edge, screaming about losing to the Padres and how could they stoop so low. I'd like to see this sort of outcry when the Mets lose to the Marlins. But maybe it's asking too much. How worked up can you get over a Mets loss these days?

Sunday, the Mets did not lose, I was not in Queens, and I did not see the game. I heard that Curtis Granderson, out for a few days with a calf injury, returned, got inserted in the leadoff spot, and hit the second pitch of the game from Ian Kennedy for a Home Run. Later, Bobby Abreu continued to defy age and logic by getting run-producing hits. Daisuke Matsuzaka left with John Maine syndrome, leaving the bullpen to cobble together the remainder of the game. A dicey proposition, but somehow, they got through it, the tandem of Carlos Torres, Vic Black and Jenrry Mejia outdueling Kennedy and Kevin Quackenbush in a 3-1 victory that sounds about as exciting as the score.

So, the Mets won 2 of 3 from the Padres, so everyone can come in off the ledge now. Or not, because the Mets have the high pleasure of going out to St. Louis to play the Beknighted Cardinals and we all know that generally doesn't go well for the Mets.

No comments: