Monday, April 23, 2012

Sleeping With the Knishes

Sunday's rainout put me in a bit of a pickle. I have tickets to tonight's game, which I planned to go to as it was scheduled. But with yesterday's rainout, a wrench was thrown into my plans. It's not an unfamiliar situation for me. I actually was presented with a similar predicament last August, and again at an earlier date in 2010, and I'm sure there are other instances that I'm forgetting in my old age.

I've gone on record as saying how much I abhor the Day-Night doubleheader, because it's not a real doubleheader. What's going on today at Citi Field is a real doubleheader, two games for the price of one. I used to go to loads of them in my salad days, although nowadays my aptitude for two games has worn thin (and I assume it's freezing at Citi Field right now). Plus, my work schedule doesn't exactly allow me to kick off at 2:30 to make the 4:10 first pitch. So, here I am, on the 7 train, writing this as the first game plays on. But, I'll be there in plenty of time to contract frostbite at the nightcap.

Thats not to say that I don't have a few gripes about this. A few years ago, I might have complained that I hate getting to games late. I'll be arriving at Citi Field probably around the 7th or 8th inning of the 1st game. And based on what I'm seeing on ESPN ScoreCenter, I haven't missed much, save for the opportunity to see Tim Lincecum pitch. But my attraction to games usually isn't the opponent. My concern is what will happen if that first game runs long and the second game isn't underway until 8pm. I like to leave early about as much as I like to arrive late, but I also have to think logically. It takes me about 45 minutes to get home from Citi Field. If I leave early, that means no Express, so it's a longer trip. Nonetheless, I still have to be at work in the morning. You have to ask yourself what makes more sense sometimes. Oh, the dilemmas caused by rain.

No comments: