Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Moment of Zen

I really haven't had much to write about here lately, since the team is so bad, and I feel like it's just not worth breaking down a game or complaining about the same problems over and over and over again. It's sort of been an unplanned hiatus around here, I guess. But it's not really a hiatus. I'm still here and I'm still going to games, and I'm sure there will be things to write about. Consider this a contemplative period for the Mets fan. We know the team is sunk, everyone knows the team is sunk, Yankee fans are high and mighty and making fun of us. Philly fans are snickering under their breath (and I'd hate to see what Citi Field looks like when they come into town next weekend...), it's just an all-around bad scene.

I keep thinking about the 1999 Mets, it being their 10th Anniversary and all, and wondering what, exactly, they did 10 years ago. On this date, August 11, 1999, I was, in fact, at the Mets game as they took on the Padres. The game was scheduled for 7:40, but didn't start until close to 9:30 thanks to a lengthy rain delay. Octavio Dotel started for the Mets against Sterling Hitchcock for San Diego. Dotel wasn't good, but the Met bats picked him up (a novel idea) and put the game away with a 6-run 7th inning, highlighted by HRs from Edgardo Alfonzo and Robin Ventura. The 12-5 victory left them a mere 1/2 game out of 1st place.

That cheers me up a little bit, I think.

No comments: