Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Met Meltdown

I've returned from my vacation in Cleveland, where the closest I got to seeing a Mets game was seeing the highlights on SportsCenter at 11pm after a day of being harangued by my family. The Mets didn't make me feel any better.

In reality, I'm not at all surprised that the Mets went into Philadelphia and got swept. I know that a lot of people are really up in arms, how could they lose facing Rodrigo Lopez and Jamie Moyer, blah blah blah, but the Mets had this coming to them. When you don't play good baseball, the familiarity of sucking begats itself until you finally reach rock bottom. I don't know if this past weekend was rock bottom, but hopefully it will sound the alarm bells that should have been ringing since early June. In Steroid Field II, where Home Runs fly out of the park with a ferocity, the Mets managed 3 runs in 3 games.

You can tell it's starting to wear on everyone. The fans have been apoplectic all season. I heard a quote from Johan Santana after Sunday's game. When asked about a pitch he threw to Chase Utley that was hit for a HR, Santana replied, "It doesn't matter. The game was over after the pitch to Rollins [sic]."

If that doesn't sum everything up, quickly and concisely, I don't know what does. The pundits will say, "Sure, we're only 4 games out after all this," but I think too many of us know the truth. Between the injuries and the inconsistency and our inability once again to beat Philadelphia when they're at their most vulnerable, well, we're screwed. You can pretty much write off the 2009 Mets.

If it makes anyone feel any better, the Phillies scored 10 runs in the 1st inning last night en route to a 22-1 victory over the Cincinnati Reds. The Reds will be coming in to Citi Field this weekend. This means you can expect the Reds to win 2 of 3 from the Mets, mostly by scores of 5-2 and 3-1.

No comments: